Thursday, March 5, 2009

Further Trials of House Husbands

Let’s being this dissertation by discussing our walk-in closet. The enclosure measures 5’x 6’ with three five-foot racks for hanging of clothing articles. Compressed, I get 30 inches out of 15 feet. In my 30 inches, I have to hang two coats and all my shirts and pants.

My darling bride, of 36 years, has made use of the remaining rack space. In addition, there are shelves around the back and sides, all filled with everything from pajamas to shoes, which are all hers.

The basement laundry area also has been converted into racks of work scrubs, coats, and oh yeah, hangers full of drying brassieres. Out of 15 total drawers in the master bedroom, I am allocated six, all of which are stuffed, crammed and piled with my seldom or unworn clothing. After all, us guys all have items of clothing we will not or are unable to wear.

Shoes – good heavens where do you being to describe the difference between men and women and their shoes. I personally own four pair of shoes – two dress (black), two pair of athletic shoes (one black, one white) and two pair of boots (winter/work)which live in the garage.

Between the two women residing here, they must own at least 40 pairs of all shoe types. Our daughter owns at least eight pair of flip flops (useless footwear in my mind). My dear wife has athletic shoes for all occasions – treadmill, YMCA, walking, gardening, mowing the lawn and those special occasion shoes. She also has pumps, flats, sandals, and the list goes on and on.

Every spring, summer and fall, they are off to Payless for additions to the collection,cannot pass up a chance for buy one get one half off(BOGO). To accommodate the variety of shoes, we even purchased a special cedar chest. Now, the top on this furniture piece will barely close due to the over abundance of unworn footwear.

Blood pressure low – more to follow.

4 comments:

Lisa S said...

One thing you have to remember about women, my friend, is that we put incredible pressure on each other to look "put together". Guys could care less if you're wearing the right color for the season, or if flats look silly with that skirt.

I believe it was Van Morrison who said in the song Wild Night: "the girls walk by, dressed up for each other." So true.

I think I might be missing the "put together" chromosome. I look strictly for comfort and utility in my clothing. I have 2 pair of shoes (1 black, 1 brown)that I wear with just about everything. They're basically cleverly disguised tennis shoes that look like Mary Janes. MJ's never go out of style.

Caron at Michigan Quilts said...

I'm sorry... I don't understand the problem?

Anonymous said...

Though not a husband myself, yet, I agree with what you have said. Women take up far to much space, especially for shoes. I mean I remember walking into the closet of one of my friends, and she had atleast forty pair of assorted shoes. I dated another girl who had like six pair of shoes...in her car alone.

Shoot...I live with my parents, and I have a walk in closet, and my Mom has about forty percent of of the hanger space as well as her own walk in closet.

it's rediculous

Anonymous said...

The closest is full, the shoes are there, these are the neccessary items a woman might need. It's not because the man doesn't have the room. We've given him many chances to buy these things for himself. I say, if you don't want to take up your own space, then we may as well use up whats left over. Next you'll complain about the bathroom space and the makeup that's taking up counter space. Hint, shop a little bit more for yourself. The one pair of shoes you own are waaaay tooo old and you could probably use a new pair. Not to mention the one pair of pants that seem to get worn on a daily base. Quit complaining and go shopping. I'll be glad to give up a couple of more inches for my man.