Monday, March 9, 2009

LOL----BRB----BFF

As promised to an avid reader – a short discussion on text messaging. First, let me make it clear I do not practice the art form. My daughter derides me for never learning the proper method of typing, yet she has the fastest thumbs in our house.

What is the difference between my chicken pecking on the keyboard and her two thumbs texting? I believe we will keep up this style of communication to the point of having our opposable thumbs evolve into an entirely new appendage.

As far as the assassination of the English language, there will have been new dictionaries written for the expressed purpose of deciphering this coded form of language. Wnt Tht B Gr8? The best one I have seen is *Ss (Starbucks). Eventually, classes like Ebonics will be taught in schools just for young children to learn the new dialects being transmitted on the small portable screens.

All of this comes at a price, as many parents are becoming aware. Service with unlimited text messaging is a must for anyone supporting a child with a phone under your roof. Text message rates on some services, for those of you with a child and active thumbs, can run into the hundreds of dollars.

As with talking on a cell phone while driving, a person texting while operating an automobile is the most dangerous behavior I have ever witnessed.

In the immortal words of my hero Winnie the Pooh, “TTFN.”

1 comment:

UMSpaceCadet said...

New? Hah! The Morse code community has been using these shortened versions since the 1800's. You still get them on the amateur radio bands. The real problem, like a Morse code key, is that the human interface at the entry point stinks.