Tuesday, February 24, 2009

"A Taste of Homesickness"





Guest blog by Christopher "Skippy" Miller, Senior Editor

It’s February and 73 degrees outside. My wife, nearly two-year-old daughter and I just got back from a walk, of course in our shorts. Unfortunately, it’s not quite warm enough to run the air conditioner. Hence, the windows are wide open, allowing fresh air to fill our apartment.

Yet, this former Michigander still, in a sick, twisted way, misses the cold, snowy weather.

Don’t get me wrong, you can keep the unbearable driving conditions associated with winter. However, I am highly fond of and thrive well in the “cold.” It’s quite similar to my immunity to eating a favorite food enhancer, hot sauce.

This coming July marks four years since Heather and I decided to move to Florida. At the time, it was an opportunity for us to try a new place, featuring an essential element – jobs.

She quickly was offered a teaching contract in Broward County. I shortly found employment as a Public Relations Director for a nonprofit agency which provides services for the elderly. We have since maintained the same positions.

All things changed on April 29, 2007. Our daughter, India Summer Jean, was born. The yearning to be closer to family grew even more than before. We had hoped India was able to see and experience her grandparents more often. But, it’s difficult being 1,500 miles away.

Sure, we visit Michigan, and they come to Florida. But, living closer would equal an abundance of free babysitting opportunities. There is only one major issue for us moving closer – a lack of jobs. During the past year, I continued to apply for open positions to destinations elsewhere in Florida, Michigan and even North Carolina. I have had a handful of interviews, but no takers.

One big issue in Florida, particularly South Florida, is my inability to speak a second language. Most employers seek bilingual candidates. Unless Cyborg is considered a second language, I’m up a creek.

The problem in Michigan is too many other, more than qualified people are applying for the same posting. One job yielded over 120 applicants. I was one of them.

Heather is another story. Teaching jobs are even harder to come by. It took a close friend, after college, five years to land his first teaching gig. Even if Heather was hired, there is no guarantee she would keep the job in a year or two. School districts constantly are creatively managing budgets, including ousting experienced instructors.

In our case, we must stay put, or just follow the wisdom of the great Red Green, “Keep your stick on the ice.” We continue to pay our bills, raise our daughter and make the most of the situation. Do we regret moving here? Nope, but homesickness does occur more often.

1 comment:

Lisa S said...

Whoa! The new background is killing my eyes Dude! Can't look at it for more than 3 sec. before my eyes start to bleed.

Should I be talking to the Senior Editor about this? If you want a personalized background, call me - ok???