Thursday, January 29, 2009

Trigger Finger

The Second Amendment reads: "a well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Gun control and the liberals go hand in hand – just as members of the National Rifle Association are in partnership with the right wing conservatives. Debates as to how to curb the gun violence we experience daily in our society rages on and on.

The simple solution lies in the common sense of thinking clearly on the subject.

My personal knowledge of weapons began when I was seven with my first BB gun. It continues today with practice and hunting using weapons of my choice. Education now, as it was 50 years ago for me, is the answer.

The important education from my father, regarding the care and handling of my first firearm, was the best solution. Despite what the urbanites (all races) think, guns are not toys! My father was a stern task master, drilling into us once you pull the trigger, you can’t take it back. From a man who had experienced war and killing first hand, safety always was the first concern. My father-in-law taught his four boys the same values, setting up a range in their basement which instilled responsible respect for the handling of firearms.

One would think people carrying and using weapons, of every description, would learn from the war waged on each other on our streets. You never read stories about responsible gun owners, such as hunters and shooting enthusiasts/professionals misusing their own weapons. The training process can only begin at an early age. Kids, introduced to young hunter safety courses, are not the same children hanging out in school parking lots and our city streets, wielding deadly weapons as if they were water pistols.

The law enacted, known as “one with a gun will get you 10 in the pen,” has not had the slightest effect on the problem,nor has any of the so called gun control laws on the books. No, the satisfactory solution must start in the home. As with any endeavor, responsibility begins and ends with the parents. Right or wrong, I chose not to expose my children to guns. They never expressed an interest or fascination, which was prevalent during my youth.

One final thought: do you often wonder why a professional athlete feels the need to carry a weapon for personal protection? To my knowledge, no pro sports figure has ever been assassinated. One can only imagine what these so called “role models” are conveying to the kids who view them as some sort of god.

Guns in America will never disappear; however, the ignorance should.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well spoken! I was raised with the same values placed on firearms. My dad used to say, "When firearms are outlawed, only the cops and robbers will have them." He was a man of few words, but great wisdom! Hopefully, I absorbed a tiny fraction of his intuitivness! H. S.